Communications Coordinator | San Francisco, CA
About Accountability Counsel
Accountability Counsel seeks a Communications Coordinator to implement communications strategy at our high-performing legal non-profit. We work globally to amplify the voices of vulnerable communities to protect their human rights and environment. Our team of world-class attorneys work directly with communities challenging abuses financed from abroad. We don’t litigate in courts, but instead specialize in the accountability offices that have been created to address these abuses. Our stellar team of policy advocates work to ensure that those accountability offices are transparent, independent, fair, accessible and effective. We conduct research to track global complaints and expose patterns in data that can be used to prevent harm. We also convene a global network of advocates foster a global accountability movement. We are an award-winning organization with a reputation for making an outsize impact.
Our team has worked in communities in over 35 countries in our eight-year history. Our victories include one in Mexico, where we successfully supported Indigenous people to stop a project from destroying their communities. We have improved accountability policy at every multilateral development bank, at three US federal agencies, and within the OECD and UN systems. Our advocacy has led to the creation of several new accountability offices, and we have a new ground-breaking initiative on impact investing. Our approach pays particular attention to women, children, and other marginalized groups.
We work in four global locations divided between the Global South and North and are growing to new regions in the coming years. For more about who we are and what we do, please start with a review of our website.
The Communications Coordinator will be based out of Accountability Counsel’s San Francisco office. The Communications Coordinator will report to, and work in close collaboration with, the Executive Director. This position also involves close work with each member of our program teams. The Communications Coordinator will need to work across several time zones, including early morning meetings on a weekly basis. The Communications Coordinator position offers the opportunity to make a substantial global impact.
Among other duties as may be required, the Communications Coordinator will:
A. Execute Accountability Counsel’s communications strategy (approximately 90%), including to:
- Ensure that our communications:
- serve our policy, case, research, and organizational goals through engagement with diverse stakeholders, including our community clients, decision-makers, peer organizations, the public, and donors;
- are on message, strong, and compelling across a variety of organizational and external platforms (social media, news, web, video, etc.); and
- are consistent with our substantive and visual brand;
- Work collaboratively with all staff on development of content as the organization’s chief editor;
- Manage an editorial calendar and independently ensure that content is placed, promoted, and repurposed appropriately, using outside consultants where needed;
- Maintain relationships with journalists, editors, and media outlets, and serve as the primary point person for media relations;
- Maintain relationships with graphic designers, web developers, and other outside professionals to maintain a consistent visual message;
- Train and manage fellow Accountability Counsel staff and Board members as media spokespeople;
- Travel (approx. 15% of the time), both domestically and internationally; and
- Participate as a key team member in Accountability Counsel weekly team meetings to understand and communicate Accountability Counsel’s mission, values, and work.
B. The position is likely to also include occasional fundraising support and administrative duties related to the position (approximately 10%).
Skills and Abilities Required
The Communications Coordinator is required to have:
- A Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree preferred);
- At least 2 – 5 years of relevant work experience;
- A background in communications, public relations, and/or journalism;
- Ability to understand and communicate to varying audiences effectively regarding highly technical and often complex information pertaining to environmental issues, human rights, gender, development, and international finance policy;
- Exceptional writing and editing skills;
- A positive and friendly attitude, collaborative demeanor, and a sense of humor;
- Superb interpersonal and written communication skills and an honest, direct, and transparent communication style;
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, prioritize workload, stay organized, and make decisions in a fast-paced, deadline sensitive environment;
- Aptitude for building external relationships and ability to work skillfully with external partner and peer organizations;
- An understanding of and appreciation for work in a dynamic, multicultural, non-profit, public interest environment;
- High attention to detail and concern for providing an exceptional work product, with a self-directed commitment to professionalism; and
- Interest in and commitment to the mission of Accountability Counsel.
The Communications Coordinator is preferred to have:
- Experience working in the fields of international development, environmental and human rights, or other relevant field;
- Media contacts and a network (domestic and international) to support outreach to raise Accountability Counsel’s public profile;
- A track record of positioning an organization to achieve tangible outcomes in a competitive communications environment with the skill to evaluate outcomes;
- Experience as a media spokesperson;
- Experience coaching and supporting senior staff and board members to speak on behalf of an organization;
- Comfort with public speaking, including with international-level decision-makers;
- Skilled in using social media and innovative digital storytelling tools, and ability to anticipate and adapt to using new communications tools;
- Experience with graphic design and photo/video editing; and
- Knowledge of WordPress, Cision, and Hootsuite.
Compensation and Benefits
Accountability Counsel offers competitive compensation commensurate with experience. Our superb benefits package includes full health, vision, and dental coverage; retirement benefits; a sabbatical policy; and other unique benefits that make Accountability Counsel a wonderful place to work.
To apply, please (a) fill out the application form on our website, (b) upload a cover letter (stating your qualifications as they relate to the stated responsibilities and including whether you are legally eligible to work in the U.S.) and (c) upload your resume.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis starting on 1 March, 2018. Position to be filled as soon as possible, so please apply right away. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted regarding further steps in the application process.
Accountability Counsel is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation or other prohibited category. We strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQIA individuals, people with disabilities, and all qualified persons to apply for this position.
Communications Coordinator Application Form